Electrical Safety Laws


NICEIC registered electricians have already helped to improve the standard of electrical work in the UK. An electrical safety law, Part P of the Building Regulations, was introduced by the Government on 1st January 2005 with the aim of further enhancing the protection of homeowners and reducing the risk of electric shock when using electricity. The law, which applies to England and Wales aims to improve electrical safety in the home and prevent the number of accidents, which are caused by faulty electrical work.

This brings electrical work in the home under statutory control along with other types of building work, such as gas installations.

The law requires an electrician registered with a government-approved scheme, such as the one operated by NICEIC, to carry out most electrical work in the home. After completion of any work your NICEIC registered electrician will issue you with an electrical safety certificate and a Compliance Certificate to confirm it meets the requirements of the Building Regulations.

You can only carry out electrical work yourself if you can inspect and test that it is safe for use. To comply with the law you must notify your local building control office before you begin any work and pay the appropriate fee for them to inspect the work.


What will happen if you don’t follow the regulations?

You will have no certificate to prove that the work has been carried out by a registered electrician, or that the work performed has been passed as safe by your local building control.

It may be problematic when it comes to selling your home if you cannot produce evidence that electrical work has been carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations.

It is a criminal offence to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations, with a maximum fine of £5,000.

Your local building control may insist that you re-do the electrical work.


What electrical work does the law cover?

The requirements of Part P apply to most electrical work in your home. There are however, certain relaxations that apply for minor work.

Minor work

‘Minor work’ is electrical work that does not involve the addition of a new circuit, for example adding new sockets or light switches to an existing circuit, or the replacement of sockets, light switches and ceiling roses. This work does not have to be undertaken by a registered electrician and you do not need to notify your local building control office. However, ALL electrical work must comply with BS 7671, the wiring regulations.

High risk locations

Kitchens, bathrooms and gardens are classed as ‘special locations’ because the risk of electric shock is greater. Unless you are only replacing accessories, work in a kitchen, bathroom, garden or outbuilding must either be undertaken by a registered electrician or notified to building control.

With so many electrical appliances in your kitchen, combined with the mixture of hot surfaces and water, it is important that the electrical installation is safe. When installing a new kitchen, it is advisible you use a registered electrician or kitchen installer to do the electrical work.

External electrical installations can be particularly hazardous due to the presence of water and the extremes of weather, which can make equipment deteriorate faster.

If you are unsure, give us a call or your local building control office before starting any work.

All work completed by Fused Electrical is fully certificated and we see to all the Part P Building Regs. Leaving you, the householder, safe in the knowledge the job has been done safely, correctly and to the letter of the law.

Contact us....


Fused Electrical Services Ltd

30 Wetherby Road,

Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 8AZ.


Tel: Paul - 07887 758795

      Rich - 07863 184692


E-mail: rich@fusedelectricalservices.co.uk


Emergency contact number

Outside office hours, please dial:

07887 758795


Print Print | Sitemap
© Fused Electrical Services Ltd